We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Committee Meeting Monday 13 Sept 2022


Minutes of Ramsey Bowls Club Committee Meeting
held on Monday 13 September 2022 at 2.30pm at Ramsey Bowls Club


Barry McCormick Patsy Coles Andrea Rose
Gill Willis

Geoff Rose Martin Francis Lyn Fraser Les Collyer

1. Apologies

Vice President Treasurer
Green Liaison Officer Match Secretary

• None

  1. Minutes of previous meeting

    • Agreed

  2. Matters from previous minutes

    • League Triples went ahead

    • Only 3 members replied to the new member’s email

    • Paul Yeoman has supplied callipers so the marker’s kit is

      now complete

  3. President’s Report

    • League Triples went ahead and went well. Barry would like to thank everyone who came down and helped.

    • President’s Day went very well. Again Barry thanked everyone who helped to make the day a success. Almost £90 was made on the raffle.

    • EBF Finals - Patsy was in the Donald Steward winning team at Skegness. Gill and Ali also got to Skegness in the Ladies Pairs. Richard also played at Skegness in the Senior Singles. Barry Mc, Patsy and Richard came 3rd in the Reg Jackson Triples Competition.

    • Barry has been approached to be the Captain of the Newton team, so do we need another delegate now. This will be decided at the AGM. Barry has accepted the post and was congratulated.

• Barry has stepped down as Men’s A team Captain. 5. Secretary’s Report

  • Following the sad death of Roy Pryke, Roy’s family hope to present a bench to the Club in memory of Roy.

  • Mrs Ricca now wants to rejoin but Gill has had no reply to her email asking her to sign a GDPR form.

    6. Treasurer’s Report

  • There is £2686.22 in the bank which includes £32 prize money from Barry McCormick.

  • £445 has been paid out for the new seat.

  • Captains and committee members have been asked for their


    7. Green Officer’s Report

  • The green has improved now that is being regularly watered. We have had good feedback on the condition of the green.

  • The grounds team will be doing the treatment this year and so

    we will not be using Chris Hunt and Progreen.

  • Geoff thanked Geoff W for all his work.

  • Gill will ask Richard Shilling what the plan of action is.

    8. Finals Weekend

  • All in place and the schedule has been sent out.

  • Barry thanked Martin and Jill for organising the finals.

  • There will still be a roll up on the spare rinks.

    9. New Member’s Roll Up

We will start this in April at the beginning of next season. Golf had a new member evening where they were shown around the clubhouse, maybe we could do that and join them for food afterwards
Person on rota duty to ask new members if all is OK and give advise where needed
Patsy will liaise with Phil Ackers at the beginning of next season

Abbey School

Martin is in touch with the member of staff involved at the school.
They are thinking they would like to come along one afternoon a week from 3.15 – 4.15 to start after Easter next year

After a discussion it was agreed to suggest a Tuesday . Martin will liaise and keep in touch.
Gill will see if there is any funding available from The Whittome Trust to buy some suitable bowls

Big Bowls Bash

This has been introduced by Bowls England to make bowls more enjoyable and fun.
It is basically designed for new people coming into the sport with less formal rules.

The initiative is to encourage new members.
Clubs offer slots to people, who are not Club members, who want to come and bowl and club can charge for that session. Once the Club is registered there is a platform on Bowls England website where people can sign up to come along. We can set the times they can come along.
Martin and Jill will continue to work on this ready for next season.
We are not sure as the club is a limited company whether we need to supply the names and addresses of directors. If so Gill will ask if they are happy with this.

Next year’s club competition dates

Club sign up – 12 April 2023
Live draw – 26 April 2023
Club Triples – 21/23 July 2023
Finals weekend – 8 /10 September 2023 County Sign up – 11 October 2023

County Sign Up

Should we provide a list of people who wish to play in the County competitions so members can approach them to play. It was agreed no to do that as won’t know who is available until sign up night.

Men’s League

Raffle – most clubs now do Football scratch cards. Les had looked into the price and it seemed a good idea but if don’t do food would we need a raffle.
It was agreed that there would be no catering for the Men’s league next season

Going to try the scratchcards with the first home match of the season to see if it would be viable, as they may stay for a drink. There should be a vice captain for both Men’s teams.
Annual Dinner Menu

The price for the dinner will be 2 courses - - £23.50 and 3 courses £28.
After discussion it was agreed the following courses would be available: - soup or pate – Pork belly or salmon en croute – sticky toffee pudding or cheese and biscuits.

List of members wishing to play County

This was discussed under 13

Bury v Ramsey

The sign up form is ready and Patsy will put it up. Barry will captain Bury and Les will do Ramsey.

Closing Day

a list will go up so people can sign up for a bacon buttie on Friday 30 September.


It was agreed for the Millicent Childs league we would not offer tea and biscuits but players would offer their opponent a drink of either tea or coffee or one from the bar.
The Ladies League do not have a secretary at the moment but it is hoped there will be one in place so the league can happen. County matches for the ladies have been published. Patsy will book out the dining room in case any are played here. Barry will put all the markers away and the gardening crew will take up the ditch matting. They will also put the furniture away at some point.

Geoff has been offered 1000 score cards with Cole and Day on. It was agreed to gratefully accept them.
Gill will find out from Judith how long you have to be a member before you become an Honorary Member.

Once you reach the age of 90 years you no longer need to pay a membership fee.
It had been asked if the season could be extended. This is not possible as the greenkeepers need to start work on the green.

• It was agreed to ask Richard Shilling if he could attend the next meeting to update us on the green

Next meeting will be Tuesday 15 November at 2.00pm